When you begin to notice signs of water damage on the ceiling of your home, the first thing you should do is check for roof leaks. If you can figure out where the water is coming in, you can figure out how to fix the leak and clean up the damage. The following procedure should be done while standing on the ground with binoculars. It is not safe to be walking on your roof if it is damaged, and you can cause additional damage while you are up there.
- Locate the area in your home where the leak is coming through, and then find the corresponding spot on the roof above. This is where you will concentrate your search.
- Search areas where there are pipes, ventilation stacks, chimneys, skylights, air conditioners and other things like this. These areas are hard to seal, so the leak may be coming from there.
- Look above the affected area to see if water is running downslope under the roofing material.
- Look for missing or cracked shingles, tiles, shakes, or flashing.
- Examine valleys in the roof, which are spaces where two sections of roof meet. Water is channeled into these valleys, making them more prone to water damage.
Getting a regular roof inspection in Hanover, MA goes a long way towards preventing leaks and water damage. The team at South Shore Roofing can detect small issues before they become a huge and costly issue. Contact us today to get your free roofing consultation.